Author Topic: Back in the shop!  (Read 1822 times)

Back in the shop!
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
I got back into my shop this summer after several serious medical problems. During the past 18 months I was in and out of hospitals being treated for a heart attack, pancreatitus and a failed gall bladder surgery.  Of all things, I had the heart attack on my 50th wedding anniversary. I am now on the road to recovery and can spend a few hours a day in the shop. I have been working on the gat once more. I’m about where Dennis and Brian are in their build. I have been firing some blanks and all seems well. I have made all the parts for the mag base and 3 stick magazines (2 25 rd and 1 50 rd). I’m watching Dennis and Brian to see how they do with their stick magazine. Since most of my solder joints have failed I have been trying to eliminate them where possible. I made new trunions for the carriage yoke similar to Cutters but I used an 8-32 brass bolt to hole the cap to the base.
Here are some pics.

Back in the shop!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
manatee,
 We are sorry to hear about the health issues that you have delt with lately. Most importantly, you did not give up on your fun projects. When I lost my hand over 20 years ago, I started a lot of projects that I always wanted to do. This not only gave me some therapy, but it also helped me through the healing process in the end. Your work in the pictures looks great. Keep up the good work and stay busy without over doing it.
bruski

Back in the shop!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
Thanks Bruski! I take lots of breaks and I am usually finished in the shop by 2PM.

Back in the shop!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »
Looks GREAT !!! Keep up the good work ! :D

Brian

Back in the shop!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »
Closing in on the mag base and magazines. I was dreading cutting the brass tubing but it worked out ok. Only broke 1 end mill!

Back in the shop!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
Dry fitted the mag base and magazine today and everything seems to function properly. I will now screw them together before I try soldering!

Back in the shop!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »
Looking great Manatee,
Those silver bullets look cool, and they kill werewolf\'s  
 :D

Back in the shop!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »
You don\'t pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger and you don\'t mess around with Jim.  He had silver bullets, too.