Author Topic: Whose plans to buy??  (Read 2046 times)

Whose plans to buy??
« on: March 08, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »
Looking to buy a set of plans to build up a Gatling or two, and I\'m curious what
\"those-in-the-know\" think of the plans that are out there. I was thinking of
doing at least one in .22LR, then another in a higher caliber.

I see RG-G and D&E both have plans for sale, but I\'ve heard some folks who will
bad-mouth either one. \"Oh, they\'re junk\", \"Incomplete...\", etc.

I have access to a full-sized lathe and mill, so that\'s not a problem, and my
partner-in-frustration is a gunsmith who is eager to try his hand in working a few
up.

Thoughts?

Whose plans to buy??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
Tanker, the RGG is the best choice, you can buy a kit to make it along with the plans for 800 to 900 dollars.  No \'kit\' exists for the D&E that I\'m aware of; it is a bit more complicated but looks more authentic.  Both of these have their problems but with patience they will work.  Lots of good mechanics on this forum that will help you, so good luck.
Dick C. (gatguy)
 :mrgreen:

Whose plans to buy??
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
RG-G is the way to go for you first one. it not a true model of a 1874 but close.d&es requires a lot more skill.

Whose plans to buy??
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:46:33 PM »
[quote name=\"EPPS 1919\"]RG-G is the way to go for you first one. it not a true model of a 1874 but close.d&es requires a lot more skill.[/quote]
Not going for a historical representation. Just as long as it goes \"BANG!\" when I want
it to, I\'ll be happy.

And then the other night, Mrs. Tanker say Gunny on History Channel\'s \"Lock & Load\",
and he demonstrated a Gatling on a tabletop full of watermelons. She fell in love -
she saw that, and was like, \"I want one!!\"  :lol:  :mrgreen:

Whose plans to buy??
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:50:40 AM »
I first bought the D@E but to this day I don\'t know of anyone that has a working gun. I am now working on th RGG gun. Buy the RGG plans
bill

Whose plans to buy??
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »
RG-G, the plans may be lacking but the errors are known, by the many builders. We are posting mods and corrections on the forums so everyone doesn\'t have to make the same mistakes.