Author Topic: New Member Saying hello  (Read 1348 times)

New Member Saying hello
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
Hi All, my name is Ken.
I recently recieved my DG-G drawing and I am trying to get source meterials together. One big question I have right now is about the bolt carrier. The print lists meterial as brass, is it possible to use Cold rolled? I thought there were some pictures on the board with some constructed using steel.

I am using a grizzly G9729 combo. It is not that accurate or sturdy, but with patience and light cuts it does well. I have built a few rifles from kits, a 1919, Bren, VZ58, sten and a couple of AR\'s.

I am looking forward for any advice the members have to offer. This is probably going to be a long build for me. I plan on taking my time and my life is pretty full. Although this project is going to be enjoyable and fascinating for me.

Thanks to all of you who read this far!

Ken

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
New Member Saying hello
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
Welcome to the board! And Yes you can use steel. I would say a good grade of aluminum would be good too.

New Member Saying hello
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:27:57 PM »
Hi Ken:
   Welcome, Is good to have one more building a Gat. I have made all my parts, so far, from steel. Your previous builds sound like mine. I have built a 1919A4, several AKs, and have 3 sten kits to build. Do you have a set of plans for the Stens semi auto? If you make your parts from brass they will look better and may be easer to cut but they will cost more. As you build your gun, be sure to check the list of known errors. I have missed a few but no major ones.

As you start your build be sure to post pistures. It good to see peoples progress.
Thanks
R-R

New Member Saying hello
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
HI Dave,
 A soon as this weather clears up up here in Michigan I\'ll be able to get to work on my project. about all I have time for right now is removing snow.
We had a bad ice storm and no power for a couple of days.

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
New Member Saying hello
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
Winter is almost over!! Im tired of shoveling too!!!